Ten Admonitions to Myself for 2017
In no particular order and for no particular reason, except that I can always use the reminders. All the best for the coming year!
1. Resist knee jerk impulses, because they rarely lead to adequate, productive solutions.
2. Understand systems by taking the time to comprehend the context in which an issue exists, in order to identify the best ways to approach it.
3. Identify key leverage points that will produce the most positive outcomes with the available resources.
4. Organize collaborations by better orchestrating different units, whether individuals or organizations, into sums greater than their parts.
5. Value often overlooked assets like grandparents and the disabled, to realize their inherent potential.
6. Pursue the multiple solutions that complex issues often require.
7. Listen to other voices for insights that can challenge and deepen your own.
8. Respond to needs beyond your own to stretch your understanding of the world and yourself.
9. Care for your well-being holistically, with the awareness that “health” includes, and can extend beyond, the physical and psychological.
10. Lead from behind, in front, or the middle, knowing that different situations can require shifting modes.
11. Bonus! Exceed expectations, the staid and normal, to realize the joy of a more original and fabulous world.